|Rockstor 3.8-14 NAS Installation and Review on VMware|
In this tutorial, we're going to install, configure, update and review Rockstor 3.8-14 Open Source NAS solution on VMware Workstation/Player step by step. We'll also install VMware Tools (Open VM Tools) on Rockstor. Then we'll configure RAID-5 storage pool and setup NFS and Samba/SMB/CIFS shares. This tutorial also helps for installing Rockstor 3.8 on physical computer or bare-metal server.
Rockstor 3.8-14 Installation Steps:
- Download Rockstor 3.8 ISO
- Create VM on VMware Workstation/Player
- Start Installation
- Update Rockstor 3.8
- Install VMware Tool (Open VM Tools)
- Configure RAID-5 Storage Pool
- Setup NFS and Samba/SMB/CIFS Shares
Installing Rockstor 3.8-14 NAS and Review on VMware
What is Rockstor?Rockstor is a CentOS-based Linux distribution designed for Network Attached Storage (NAS) and private cloud storage solutions. It is based on popular open-source technologies, such as the Btrfs file system and Docker for automating the deployment of applications inside software containers. In addition to standard NAS features like file sharing via NFS, Samba, SFTP and AFP, advanced features such as online volume management, CoW Snapshots, asynchronous replication, compression, and bitrot protection are also supported. Rockstor provides additional applications, including ownCloud, Syncthing, OpenVPN and Plex.
Rockstor Website: http://rockstor.com/
Rockstor 3.8-14 comes with big new features including an interface to power down HDDs to reduce noise and conserve electricity, and a way to browse and download logs almost too easily with a few clicks on the UI. There are also many enhancements and bug fixes.
Rockstor 3.8-14 New Features and Improvements
Rockstor Minimum System RequirementsRockstor is a complete Linux distribution (iso) to be installed directly on hardware or as a VM with the following minimum system requirements and recommendations.
- 64-bit Intel or AMD processor
- 2GB RAM or more (recommended)
- 8GB hard disk space for the OS
- One or more additional hard drives for data (recommended)
- Ethernet interface (with internet access – for updates)
- UPS (if desired) that is supported by NUT
- DVD drive and a blank DVD, or a USB port and min 1 GB USB key (for the installation media)