|Xubuntu 16.10 Installation and Review on VMware|
In this tutorial, we'll install and review Xubuntu 16.10 on VMware Workstation/Player. You can also use VMware Player which is free for personal use. We'll also install VMware Tools (Open VM Tools) on Xubuntu 16.10 for better performance and usability such as Fit Guest Now, Drag-Drop File and Clipboard Sharing. This tutorial helps if you install Xubuntu 16.10 on physical computer or laptop.
Xubuntu 16.10 Installation Steps:
- Download Xubuntu 16.10 ISO
- Create Virtual Machine on VMware Workstation/Player
- Start Xubuntu 16.10 Installation
- Install VMware Tools (Open VM Tools)
- Xubuntu 16.10 Review
Installing Xubuntu 16.10 and Review on VMware
Error Message: The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine.
Solution or Workaround: CPU ID Masking
- 1- Edit Xubuntu VM Configuration file (.vmx)
- 2- Add the following line: cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"
- 3- Save the configuration file
- 4- Power on Xubuntu VM
What is Xubuntu Linux?Xubuntu is an elegant and easy to use operating system. Xubuntu comes with Xfce Desktop Environment which is a stable, light. Xubuntu is perfect for those who want the most out of their desktops, laptops and netbooks with a modern look and enough features for efficient, daily usage. It works well also on older hardware. Xubuntu is ideal for users seeking a a stable, lightweight and configurable desktop experience.
Xubuntu Website: http://xubuntu.org/
Xubuntu 16.10 New Features
- There are new versions of various apps and plugins such as XFCE4 Whisker Menu, LightDM GTK Greeter and Thunar file manager.
- Xubuntu 16.10 comes with Linux Kernel 4.8 which features numerable improvements to system stability, performance, power efficiency, and file system handling.
- Xubuntu 16.10 performs better in virtual machines.
- Core Xubuntu apps have been updated such as Mugshot, GMusicBrowser and Orage calendar.
Hope you found this Xubuntu 16.10 installation and review tutorial helpful and informative. Please consider sharing it. Your feedback and questions are welcome!