|Salix OS 14.2 Installation and Review on VMware|
Easy tutorial on how to install and review Salix OS 14.2 on VMware Workstation/Player step by step. It also helps for installing Salix Linux 14.2 on physical computer or laptop. We'll also install VMware Tools on Salix 14.2 for better performance and usability.
Salix OS 14.2 Installation Steps:
- Download Salix 14.2 ISO
- Create VM on VMware Workstation/Player
- Start Installation
- Install VMware Tools
- Test VMware Tools Features (Fit Guest Now, Drag-Drop File and Clipboard Sharing)
- Salix OS 14.2 Review
Installing Salix OS 14.2 and Review on VMware
What is Salix OS Linux?Salix is a GNU/Linux distribution based on Slackware that is simple, fast and easy to use, with stability being a primary goal. Optimized for desktop use, Salix OS features one application per task, custom package repositories, advanced package management with dependency support, localised system administration tools and innovative artwork. Salix is also fully backwards compatible with Slackware, so Slackware users can benefit from Salix repositories, which they can use as an "extra" quality source of software for their favorite distribution.
Salix OS Website: http://www.salixos.org/
Salix OS 14.2 New Features and ImprovementsSalix OS 14.2 is the new version of Salix, a Slackware-based desktop distribution, improves the boot process, provides better language support at install time and includes a few new graphical configuration tools.
- One application per task on the installation ISO
- Fully backwards compatible with Slackware
- Optimized for desktop usage
- High quality package repositories with dependency support
- Incredibly fast package tools
- Simple & fully localized system administration tools
- Nice artwork
- Supports 32-bit and 64-bit architectures
Salix Installation ModesThe installation is text dialog based, but easy to navigate and complete. It is also very fast; a "full" mode installation will take less than 5 minutes on any modern PC. Salix has three different modes of installation:
- Full: Everything that is included in the iso is installed. That includes a complete desktop environment and a complete selection of applications that matches the respective environment, always following the "one application per task" rationale.
- Basic: This installs only a basic desktop environment, with very few extra applications installed on top, such as a web browser and the gslapt package manager. Ideal for advanced users that would like to install a lightweight desktop environment and add their own choice of applications.
- Core: Only the minimum essentials for a console system to start are included. A graphical environment is not provided. This is ideal if you are an experienced user and want to customize your installation for any specific purpose, such as a web server, file server etc.
Hope you found this Salix OS 14.2 installation and review tutorial helpful and informative. Please consider sharing it. Your feedback and questions are welcome!