|Ubuntu MATE 16.10 Installation and Review on VMware|
This tutorial shows how to install Ubuntu MATE 16.10 and review on VMware Workstation/Player step by step. We also install VMware Tools (Open VM Tools) on Ubuntu MATE for better performance and usability. This tutorial is also helpful to install Ubuntu MATE 16.10 on physical laptop or computer hardware.
Ubuntu MATE 16.10 Installation Steps:
- Download Ubuntu MATE 16.10 ISO
- Create Virtual Machine on VMware Workstation/Player
- Start Installation
- Install VMware Tools (Open VM Tools)
- Ubuntu MATE 16.10 Review
Solution or Workaround: CPU ID Masking
- Edit Ubuntu MATE VM Configuration file (.vmx)
- Add the following line: cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"
- Save the configuration file
- Power on Ubuntu MATE VM
Installing Ubuntu MATE 16.10 and Review on VMware
What is Ubuntu MATE?Ubuntu MATE is a stable, easy-to-use operating system with a configurable desktop environment. It is ideal for those who want the most out of their computers and prefer a traditional desktop metaphor. With modest hardware requirements it is suitable for modern workstations, single board computers and older hardware alike. Ubuntu MATE makes modern computers fast and old computers usable. Its main differentiation from Ubuntu is that it uses the MATE desktop environment as its default user interface, based on GNOME 2 which was used for Ubuntu versions prior to 11.04, instead of the Unity graphical shell that is the default user interface for the Ubuntu desktop.
Ubuntu MATE Website: https://ubuntu-mate.org/
Ubuntu MATE 16.10 New Features
- Ubuntu MATE 16.10 includes the very latest MATE 1.16 desktop release
- It is the first major Linux distribution to ship a full GTK3+ implementation of the MATE Desktop
- It comes with Linux Kernel 4.8 which features numerable improvements to system stability, performance, power efficiency, and file system handling
- Core applications have been updated
Hope you found this Ubuntu MATE 16.10 installation and review tutorial helpful and informative. Please consider sharing it. Your feedback and questions are welcome!