|Univention Corporate Server (UCS) 4.1.4 Installation and Review on VMware|
This tutorial shows how to install and review Univention Corporate Server (UCS) 4.1.4 on VMware Workstation/Player step by step. We also install VMware Tools (Open VM Tools) on Pearl Linux 4.0 for better performance and usability features. This tutorial is also helpful to installing Univention Corporate Server (UCS) on physical computer or bare-metal server hardware.
Univention Corporate Server (UCS) 4.1.4 Installation Steps:
- Download Univention Corporate Server (UCS) 4.1.4 ISO
- Create Virtual Machine on VMware Workstation/Player
- Start UCS 4.1.4 Installation
- Install VMware Tools (Open VM Tools)
- Univention Corporate Server (UCS) 4.1.4 Review
Installing Univention Corporate Server 4.1.4 and Review on VMware
What is Univention Corporate Server (UCS)?Univention Corporate Server (UCS) is a server operating system derived from Debian GNU/Linux with an integrated management system for the central and cross-platform administration of servers, services, clients, desktops and users as well as virtualized computers operated in UCS. In addition to the operation of local, virtual instances, UCS can also be operated in OpenStack-based, Microsoft Azure-based and Amazon EC2-based cloud environments.
Univention also supports the functions provided in many companies by Microsoft Active Directory for the administration of computers operated with Microsoft Windows. UCS-based components and UCS-certified, established third party products can be installed and integrated via the Univention App Center. UCS provides all App Center applications with a runtime environment and services for the operation including a central, consistent management of the apps. Docker containers can also be run on UCS systems and several of the apps available in the App Center are Docker-based.
Univention Corporate Server (UCS) Website: https://www.univention.com/products/ucs/
Univention Corporate Server Main Features
- Network and Intranet Services: UCS include all of the important functions required for effective management of Network Infra. BIND DNS server is ready for quick use, multiple internal ip address can be used to manage multiple domain name services.DHCP server is integrated in UCS. A very effective web proxy is provided with customisable web access control.
- Printer Management: UCS have built in CUPS based printer management system with the help of which printer can be installed on to the server which be available for Mac OS, Windows or Linux users with the help of SAMBA.
- Mail Services: UCS can be used as ready to use mail server with Postfix and Dovecot services, assignment of email addresses, aliases users is manageable centrally as usual. Zarafa, Horde, Egroupware, OX App suite comes as mail and groupware with UCS.
- Microsoft Windows Support: Extensive Active Directory functions allow integration in Microsoft Windows environments or their replacement.
- Virtualization: UCS Virtual Machine Manager (UCMM) which is available in App Centre offers a effective central administration tool for cloud management, it allows to administer virtual machines OpenStack EC2 Environment.
Univention Corporate Server (UCS) 4.1.4 New Features and ImprovementsUnivention Corporate Server (UCS) 4.1 includes all errata updates issued for UCS 4.1-3 and provides various improvements and bugfixes especially in the following areas:
- The installation wizard and the UCS management system are now also available in French.
- Samba has been updated to version 4.5.1. This includes various improvements, among other things the DRS replication, the Active Directory compatibility, the file services and the printer handling.
- The Linux kernel has been updated to the latest stable version of the 4.1 long term kernel. This includes several security updates, improvements in the stability, as well as newer and updated drivers for a better hardware support.
- Dockerized apps can now use the database on the UCS system using a simple configuration setting, which simplifies the migration to dockerize apps.
Hope you found this Univention Corporate Server (UCS) 4.1.4 installation and review tutorial helpful and informative. Please consider sharing it. Your feedback and questions are welcome!